As problems and new tips for working with Level Editor are discovered we will add them to this list of frequently asked questions.
- The program may have problems if Unity updates the project while the program is running. It is recommended to only have the program open while designing and close it when not in use.
- Occasionally a face doesn’t render. Often this can be solved by adding an extra line but if this doesn’t work then it may be that the corners of the lines don’t meet at a single point. Check the corners of the face carefully and replace any lines that are snapped to the wrong location. This can also happen if the face is on one of the major axis lines where the vertex coordinates are zero. Try moving the whole model up off the ground plane or away from the center lines by a meter or so. The quickest ways to move a whole model are to change to edge mode and group select the whole model or hold down the hotkey and double click the model.
- Unity 5.0 has a bug where the scene needs to be saved to work with deformed terrains. This was fixed in the next build.
- When rotating faces the selected faces may appear to deselect, but the selected vertices are still correct and you can continue to rotate the part safely.
- You don’t have to remove all of the extra lines in a model. Often these lines help the program tessellate the faces into triangles and most likely won’t improve the triangle count for the final mesh. There is also less chance of removing a line from another face by accident.
- To test your level design you can switch between Edit and Play modes and the
program will restore your work ready to continue editing.
- You can switch between different parts by double clicking on a part to make it the
active part (highlighted in black.)
- To select parts for saving first hold down the hotkey and double click to select the part
(highlighted in blue.)
- To deselect a part, first hold down the hotkey plus the shift key before double clicking
on the part.
- You can cancel the current line drawing with Escape key or Hotkey. This is helpful if
you have started creating a line in the wrong position and need to reposition the line.
- The pivot point can be restored to the world origin by clicking on the lock icon twice.
- The speed of the scroll wheel zoom in the editor can be toggled by holding down
the Shift key for fast zoom or the Hotkey for slow zoom.
- You can orbit the camera around a part by first double clicking on a part with the right mouse
button and then orbit around while holding the middle mouse button down.
- If you need to load a part repeatedly you can do this by using the keys Shift-R to
reload the last loaded part.
- If the spawn mode is selected the part will load relative to the current pivot point,
otherwise it will load at the saved position.
- You can hide blueprints temporarily by holding down the hotkey. This can help
determine which lines have been traced from the blueprint.
- You can copy the selected lines of a part by using the Shift-C keys and paste the lines
again by using the Shift-V keys.
- Two ways to reset UVs on a model are to recreate one of the edges of the face or
use the feature on the Textures page.
- In extrude and offset modes the original lines and faces can be deleted by holding
down the shift key when releasing the mouse button.
- The space bar is the fastest way to cycle through all drawing modes.
- Pressing the Shift key temporarily toggles Snap To Grid to the opposite state.
v0.7 released 13/12/2016
Beta release of Level Editor.
v0.7.1 released 14/01/2017
Faster texture transforms
Transformed features are recalculated to find intersections and new faces
Snap to grid now only snaps in the direction of the current movement
Added enable and disable option for cursors
Created new GUI for rendering modes
Fixed namespace errors for Addons
Added smoothing & faceting faces (duplicate triangles may be affecting calculation of normals)
Added option to constrain proportions when scaling textures
Fixed movable directory
Added DAE importing (experimental for now with just basic geometry)
Adjusted eraser sensitivity
Added feature to convert Unity static meshes to lines
Now saves all selected parts to mesh and prefab
Changed rotate and scale around selected vertices unless pivot point has been moved